Monday, December 15, 2008

Advertising predictions, 1999.

Years ago, like thirty-five years ago, when America was hit with its first energy crisis, I remember walking across a parking lot in front of a Korvettes discount department store in Port Chester, NY.

"Dad," I asked, "when is Detroit going to make a car like the Japanese."
"Oh, they're not worried," he counseled."Imports will never make up more than 10% market share."

With that in mind, I thought I'd come up with some ad predictions from ten years ago.

*Writing about dot coms in 2000, "Robert J. Coen, senior vice president and forecasting director at Universal McCann" said, this about spending decline: "If two of these companies lose their ability to buy traditional media, 10 more can fly in to replace them."

*Among Adweek's "Shops to Watch" in their 10/18/1999 issue we find names like these--
Digital Pulp and Red Sky. Glad I sold my stock in those.

OK. Enough for now.

No comments: