Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Advertising, a love story.

When I was young, I had aspirations of being an English professor at some small ivied college where the autumns are cool and the co-eds are hot. I saw academia through rose-colored lenses. It would be an escape from the crush of competition, an escape from the madness of Madison Avenue I grew up with, and a cloister away from the banality of the real world.

That didn't work out.

I ran out of money for grad school.

I got a job in advertising.

Here's the thing for me about advertising.

I absolutely love it.

For all the stupidity and cravenness and crap of today, there are people I enjoy spending my days with.

I love the work of doing work.

I love that I am versatile enough to work in all media channels.

I even love my clients for their ails, and woes and problems.

There are times, of course, I get down-trodden.

I fall into that natural Semitic trait of carrying, Job-like, the woes of the world on my shoulders.

And there are times when the business gets to me.

And, I'll admit, at the end of the day, I leave advertising and recharge myself in a good book.

Just because you hate it somedays doesn't mean you hate it.

The truth is, there's really nothing else I'd rather do.


2 comments:

Christina Cruz said...

I completely agree with you. I am in love with all things advertising. I don't LIKE it everyday but I LOVE it.

Keisha Cornelius said...

I am in love with advertising also. It took me a while to decide what I wanted to do. I switched my major 3 times during college. Once I found advertising I knew I had found my future.
Thanks for sharing your story.