Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Doing what I've always done.

A couple of days ago I got a call from a reporter who was writing an article about, among other things, blogging. She asked, as reporters do, how I started blogging. I answered as I usually do.

I started blogging, I told her, at the behest of my dear friend and erst-while partner, Tore Claesson. I was out of work and Tore suggested that keeping a blog and writing on it everyday, or nearly so, would allow me to keep my "name" in front of people who could potentially hire me. I couldn't call and nudge people everyday, but I could put something out there that they might want to read.

Second, my blog impelled me to write everyday. It gave me cause, purpose and deadlines. All of which I need for my sustenance.

The final reason, I think, is most important.

Ever since I was young in the business, I would get to work early in the morning fairly brimming with things that excited me, intrigued me, annoyed me or, most often, all three. When thing were going right for me, I would share these observations with my partner.

Later, when I started moving up the agency ladder, I still arrived at work early. But now, too often, I worked alone. Either as an ECD, without a partner, or as head of a creative department, also without a partner. Nevertheless, most days a couple of fellow early-ers would show up in my office and I would rant. One group of guys who often plopped down in my office used to call it "George's Breakfast Club."

Today, it seems we don't have the time or the intimacy to have a "breakfast club." What's more, there are sites that let you, simply, write down your thoughts and publish them to the world.

So, in short, I'm doing what I've always done. Now, I'm just doing it online

3 comments:

Tore Claesson said...

George, thank you for always giving me credit for getting your blog started. In truth, I didn't have much to do with it. I just mentioned it as a way for you to get in front of an audience when not writing ads. I knew however that you needed writing. It's you. Constantly thinking, processing, writing.
I knew you'd be more than able to wrote a brilliant blog.

What struck me from the first day we worked in the same group was your productivity and creativity. You never seemed to have writer's block or be out of ideas. For readers of your blog here's how I found out: We were both in Paris. We'd assembled a worldwide team to create a worldwide campaign for IBM. We all gathered for a short breakfast and first day brief. When we got back for lunch just a few hours later none of us had anything of course. But you. You and your partner at the time had already written and lay-outed the entire campaign. I was stunned. Couldn't wait to to work directly with you. And thankfully we did indeed work together after that. In New York. Did quite a few pretty decent IBM ads in the process. Keep it up, You're my inspiration.

Tore Claesson said...

wrote, write, layed-ouedt, laid out. laid, spell check, spell chock...i'm too impatient to read what I write before shooting it off. Life is short. Especially in advertising.

Edithggns said...

You will not be concerned into a niche, and finding an alternative will always be an option. Even the private and government hospitals do not have enough number of nurses. A "just because" card dropped in the mail can be a nice small gift too. You actually will quickly realize that the nurse practitioner salary can become better with the further instruction expertise that you obtain. The benefits package can also be quite handsome, depending on a professional's bargaining ability.