Monday, March 3, 2014

Getting off on the wrong foot.

This is what our business has come to.

I wrote a note to a guy I'm supposed to be working with on a project.

"Let's meet at 10:30," I said. "I have some headlines and a couple of visual ideas."

"Yeah, let's meet," he wrote. "I'd like to talk about the vision and approach."

Here's the deal.

I don't give a rat's ass about vision and approach.

Consumers see ads.

Not decks.

They see words and pictures.

Not decks.

They don't care about the convolution and the strategizing and the brilliance of the conceit.

Does the picture move them?

Does the copy persuade them?

Listen, look at DDB's VW ads.

Or Chiat's Apple ads.

They're not about vision and approach.

They're about selling.

They don't draw distinctions between rational and emotional.

They just are.

They're the arm of a friend around your shoulder telling why you should consider a car or a mac.

This business is not that hard.

Stop trying to make it painful.


No comments: