Tuesday, October 28, 2014

New York advertising.

I'll admit.

I'm out of step with most advertising award shows.

When I judge, I don't go along with the opinions of most others.

I don't go for the 27-seconds of beautiful imagery followed by a non-descript tag and a logo.

I really want ads that are about the product.

Heresy, I know.

Too many ads, imho, could be for anything or anyone.

I suppose we have "parity" products we might as well have parity ads.

I've never believed that.

I've always busted my ass to find a fact or a truth that only the brand I'm advertising can say.

I've been excoriated for having these out-moded beliefs.

But that's ok. 

I have to do what I think is right and let the chips fall where the cookies are.

On my way home today I saw this truck. I particularly liked the line "Pumps that Pump."

Fuck. 

That's telling it like it is. It's New York advertising. Tough, persuasive and no-nonsense.

ExxonMobil is the world's largest corporation with $491 billion in sales and a market cap of $438 billion. Their tagline is some insipid affair like "fueling life's journeys."

Gag me with a leaky tanker.

Say something unique.

Have an attitude.

Have some balls.

No comments: