Monday, December 1, 2014

Dark Monday.

I just read something in "The New York Times" that really got me a little down.

It was a report of the death, four years ago, of a Nazi killer called Alois Brunner. He was as Adolph Eichmann's right-hand man and sent 128,500 Jews to their death.

Brunner somehow escaped from justice and from various Mossad attempts to assassinate him. He lived in Syria for many years, seemingly untouchable, seemingly enjoying life. He said he had only one regret, "I didn't murder more Jews."

Why do good things happen to bad people?

Why do bad things happen to good people?

I've read more than a few books on the topic and can find no neat answer.

I usually conclude with a Jewish joke. That is, humor steeped in darkness.

If there is a god, I say, it proves he's an underachiever.






No comments: