Friday, July 17, 2015

Like no other training in the world.

When I was knee-high to a cockroach in this business, with a portfolio and a prayer, I got a job in the in-house advertising department of Bloomingdale's.

I didn't know it at the time, but I'm not sure I could have had a better start in the business and, for that matter, adult life in New York.

For one, Bloomingdale's at the time was a hive of creativity. We did great promotions, shot with the best photographers, and the store was the center of a lot of attention in many circles.

Second, and most important, I had to write at least ten ads a week and I had to get them out the door.

There was no time for dilly-dallying. No time to ping and pong. No time to wallow in my innate lack of confidence.

No. You had ads to write, to get approved, to get shot, to get approved again, to take through the buyers, to proofread, to fine tune.

This was all before digital, all before computers, practically before overnight shipping.

Today, more often than not, all time is crunch time.

Something that should take weeks, well, you're expected to hand it in in minutes.

I usually get stressed but I do my best to handle it.

Maybe this afternoon, I'll drop by 59th and Lex and buy a few pairs of socks.

My way of saying thanks to Bloomingdale's.

No comments: